Extended Stay Program
The Extended Stay program is an extension of the 2016-17 academic year contract, allowing residents to stay on campus for the Winter Break (December 17, 2016 thru January 15, 2017). Residential buildings and many campus services including the dining commons are closed during this period. It is important for students to carefully plan their meals, transportation and activities throughout the winter break.
Who is Eligible?
All residents who receive a “Contract Acceptance” notice to live on campus for the 2016-2017 Academic year are eligible to express interest in the Extended Stay Contract program. Should the demand exceed the space we have available, priority will be given to Guardian Scholars, International, Out of State, Foster Youth, Emancipated, and students with special circumstances. Qualifying residents will be invited via your UC Merced email to sign an Extended Stay Contract.
How do I apply?
All residents who receive a “contract acceptance” notice to live on campus will be invited via their UC Merced email to participate. Students who are interested in applying to the program must complete a supplemental application that can be found at https://intelforms.ucmerced.edu/Form/ExtendedStay .
Where will we live?
Extended Stay residents will live together on a floor of triple occupancy rooms. Participants of the Extended Stay program will have access to laundry and a kitchen during the break periods. The Extended Stay program will be open to ALL residents and therefore will be a mixed community of first-year, new transfers, and continuing students.
*The kitchen is furnished with a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stove, and oven.
Terms and Conditions
In addition to the terms and conditions outlined in UC Merced Housing and Residence Life Handbook, Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students, and the Housing & Residence Life Contract, Extended Stay residents are also accountable to the terms and conditions outlined in the Extended Stay Contract. The Extended Stay Contract terms and conditions only apply during the Extended Stay contract periods.
1) A confirmed academic-year contract is required to validate the Extended Stay Contract. Cancellation/Termination of the academic-year contract automatically voids the Extended Stay Contract.
2) Meals are not included in the Extended Stay contract. Food may be purchased when Dining Service operations are open. Please note that hours will be limited. Food will not be available on campus when the campus is closed (after 5pm on weekends and the week before the New Year).
3) Staff will be available on call only. Response time may be delayed as much as one hour for non-emergency situations including but not limited to lock-outs. In a true emergency, call 911.
4) Overnight guests are not permitted.
5) The Terrace Center Housing Office will be open for limited hours.
6) The Kitchen will be available to ALL Extended Stay residents. Residents are expected to clean the kitchen after each use.
7) Assignments will be made by the Housing and Residence Life Office.
8) Cat Tracks service will be limited and possibly non-existent during the break period.In addition to Cat Tracks students have the option of utilizing the Hertz 24/7 car sharing program for their transportation needs. For more information regarding the program please visit https://taps.ucmerced.edu/hertz-247 .
How will I select my room?
All students are encouraged to participate in the on-line roommate and room selection process in case they are not admitted into the program. Students admitted into the program will work with the program coordinator to identify their room and roommate preferences.
How much does the Extended Stay program cost?
The Extended Stay Contract costs $1,044 and covers 29 nights at the rate of $36 per night.
The Extended Stay Contract covers the entire period whether you stay on campus or not. Once purchased, you will have access to your room on the dates below.
# of Nights
December 17, 2016 thru January 15, 2017
The Extended Stay Contract amount will be divided in two equal payments that will appear on your student bill as an Extended Stay charge. Payment is required to activate this contract and is due each semester, along with all campus fees.
Extended Stay Timeline
2016-2017 timeline coming soon.
In some instances a student’s financial aid award may cover the cost of the Extended Stay program. Students are encouraged to speak with a financial aid representative to discuss their options. Students who identify as foster youth, emancipated, or Guardian Scholar may qualify for state/federal grants and should contact Dallas Carter at (209) 228-2289 to determine if they are eligible for additional financial resources.Can I receive financial assistance to help cover the cost? Can I use the kitchen and laundry room during the break period?
Participants of the Extended Stay program will have access to a laundry facility and a kitchen during the break periods. The Kitchen is furnished with a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stove, and oven. These are shared spaces and students are expected to clean up after each use.
If I’m on the housing waitlist can I still apply?
Students on the housing waitlist can still apply for the program but only students who have received a contract acceptance notice will be considered. Applying to the program will not positively or negatively impact a student’s waitlist number.
Do I have to stay on campus for the whole break period?
The Extended Stay Contract covers the entire period whether you stay on campus or not. You may come and go as you please as you will have access to your room during the entire break period.
Who receives early admission?
Students may receive early admission based on need. Priority will be given to Guardian Scholars, International, Out of State, Foster Youth, Emancipated, and students with special circumstances. Students who may not qualify for early admission will be placed on the alternate list and will be offered a spot based on space availability beginning June 24, 2014.
If you have additional questions regarding the Extended Stay program please contact the program coordinator, Dallas Carter at email@example.com.
- Current Residents
- Submit Work Order
- Important Dates & Deadlines
- Room Change Process
- Contracts & Policies
- Dining Meal Services
- Safety and Emergency Procedures
- Cleaning Tips
- Parking Permits
- Technology Services
- Change your Meal Plan
- Meeting Space