Students may request an exemption from the two-year residency requirement if they meet any of the following criteria. The Residency Exemption Form must be submitted (along with documentation) on the Housing Portal by June 15, 2019. Please note, if you make changes to your housing your financial aid award could be effected.
- Student lives with parent(s) or legal guardian in the county of Merced, defined as a physical address within commutable distance (approx. 45 miles) of UC Merced’s campus.
- Student has previously completed two (2) years of full-time college enrollment at an accredited institution of higher education (with at least 60 units, i.e., is an upper-division transfer).
- Student turns 21 years of age on or before the first day of classes for the fall term of the academic year.
- Student is an honorably discharged veteran.
- Student is or becomes legally married (proof of legal marriage required); OR student is or becomes the biological parent or legal guardian of a dependent child.
- Student participates in student teaching, academic internship, or a special University program that requires the student to be away from the UC Merced campus for the semester or major portion thereof.
- Medical and disability circumstances (Exemption requests for this reason will be forwarded to the UC Merced Student Accessibility Services for review and approval).
- Special circumstances that exist which would create a substantial personal hardship, that is exacerbated by living on campus and cannot be remedied. Documented verification of the special circumstance is required.