The Leadership and Service Living Learning Community is open to first-year students willing to commit themselves to exploring and developing their own leadership skills and style, understanding their personal values and learning how to ethically and effectively engage with and in the local community. Personal engagement on a weekly basis is expected.
The year kicks off with a fall retreat. Participants will get to experience the Central Valley through Valley Adventure and Service trips each semester and will participate in weekly community service. Additionally, students are required to enroll in the Leadership and Service section of USTU-10, a one-credit college preparation course offered in the fall. First-year LLC members will live in El Portal.
The Leadership and Service LLC is a partnership between the Community Engagement Center, the Margo F. Souza Student Leadership Center and the Center for Career and Professional Advancement. The Leadership and Service LLC is also supported by the Office of Residence Education.
Program Requirements for the First-Year Experience
- Participants must be first-year students at UC Merced.
- Students are required to enroll in USTU-10, a one-credit college preparation course offered in the fall. This special section is just for Leadership and Service LLC Members. These required weekly meetings will continue in the spring semester as general meetings instead of a class. Only two absences are allowed each semester.
- Students are also required to register for the LLC-specific SPARK course focused on leadership. This course is required of all first-year students.
- Students must participate in the Leadership and Service LLC retreats, one in the fall and one in the spring.
- Participants must commit to semester-long community engagement in both fall and spring semesters.
- Students must attend one of three Valley Adventure and Service trips in both fall and spring semesters.
- Participants must be in good academic and student conduct standing throughout the duration of the experience.
Please direct questions regarding the Leadership and Service LLC to:
- Vernette Doty, director, Community Engagement Center | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jess Evora, associate director, Margo F. Souza Student Leadership Center | email@example.com
If you have specific questions regarding housing, including the cost of housing and meal plans, please visit the housing website.