Become a Move In Volunteer!
Be part of the move in team that welcomes over 4,300 students to their new home!
300 move in volunteers assist in directing traffic, unloading vehicles and helping move incoming students into their new room. The Move In Volunteer Program is available to all UC Merced faculty, staff and students. You don’t have to live on campus to be a volunteer.
- Dedicated early move-in assignment on Wednesday, Aug. 16, you will be allowed to move-in earlier than other residents and do not need to make a move-in appointment as there is no move-in volunteer option.
- Meet new people, make friends and help others.
- Showcase your Bobcat spirit.
- Get to move in early at no cost
- Faculty, staff and students without a meal plan working a four hour shift are eligible for a meal plan waiver for an all-you-care-to-eat meal at a UC Merced dining center.
- Put in service hours for your club.
- Greet and direct students and families as they arrive.
- Unload vehicles and move students' belongings to their rooms.
- Distribute CatCards to new students.
- Distribute and retrieve move-in carts.
- Shifts are four hours (7:30-11:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) or two hours (3:30-5:30 p.m.). Volunteers are assigned 2-3 shifts between Thursday, August 17 and Sunday, August 20.
- Student volunteers moving in early to assist must work a total of two shifts or eight hours. Faculty, staff and off-campus students can work any number of shifts.
- Must be a UC Merced student, faculty or staff member
- Must be energetic and have a positive attitude
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time
- Must be able to work outside in the sun, rain or wind
- Ability to lift 30 pounds is preferred but not required
- Must attend safety training and willing to take direction
- Thursday, Aug. 10th, 7 p.m. (online via zoom) link will be emailed to volunteers
- Sunday, Aug. 13th, 7 p.m. (online via zoom) link will be emailed to volunteers
- Must be friendly and helpful to a diverse population of students and families
- Must be available to move in at the scheduled time
- Must be available work all shifts as assigned