Whether you decide to live off campus or will no longer be attending UC Merced, once you have submitted an online application, you will need to submit a Housing Cancellation Request to officially cancel your housing contract through the Housing Portal.
Please consult your housing contract thoroughly to understand your contractual responsibilities and fees. Please find a copy of the housing contract here.
Housing Cancellation Process
1. Go to the Housing Portal to submit a Housing Cancellation Request. You will receive an email that your cancellation request is submitted.
2. You will receive an email five to seven days after your Housing Cancellation Request is submitted stating wheter the request has been approved or not approved.
3. If approved, you will be provided move-out directions, which are also posted on the website. Please read the directions carefully to avoid unncessary charges. Move-out is not complete until you have checked out at the desk and returned your room key, any key card access or lock-out keys you have checked out. Food and housing fees will be prorated according to the day you checked out. If there's any food and housing refunds, they will be posted on your student account 3-5 business days after you move out.
4. Please be sure to update your address with those you expect to get important mails and packages from, and with the Registrar's Office.
5. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.
Cancellation Before Move-In
Housing contract cancellations received before move-in are guaranteed to be approved. Requests are processed based on the date they are received by Housing Services.
Students with a signed contract will be assessed a cancellation fee to their student account based on the schedule below. This fee is not subject to appeal.
|Cancel after date
|Summer A & D
|May 8, 2024
|June 12, 2024
|June 26, 2024
Academic Year 2023-2024
Continuing and Second Year
May 1, 2024
June 1, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 1, 2024
|January 4, 2024
Cancellation After Move-In
Housing contract cancellation received after you moved in must meet a specific criteria and are rarely approved. A resident must have a compelling and unanticipated medical or financial problem that arises after move in. Documentation to support such claim is required and students should NOT sign any agreements for off-campus housing until they have secured, in writing, a release of contract. These are uncommon in cases where the contract reasons for release are not met.
Submitting a Request for Cancellation
You must submit a request for cancellation on the Housing Portal under Housing Cancellation. Please be sure you select the right term and contract type (Academic Year).
Dismissal After Fall Semester
Housing cancellation requests must be submitted on the Housing Portal. If you have problems doing so, please email email@example.com to let us know of your intent to cancel and why. Please include your Student ID or use your UC Merced email when you send the email. No documentation in person is required as long as your name appears on the list from the Registrar's Office. You will be approved. You will not be billed the $300.00 cancellation fee. You will be encouraged to move out of the halls the second week of January. Look for an email from our office with move-out instructions.