Skip to content Skip to navigation
Building Safe and Inclusive Learning Communities

Renter's Insurance

As a university-owned housing resident, you are eligible to purchase the GradGuard™ Renters Insurance Plan designed specifically for university students. The cost of the plan is $165.40 ($14.70/month) and includes $5,000 of coverage for theft or damage (due to covered cause of loss) to your personal belongings with a $100 deductible and $100,000 of personal liability coverage. Click here for coverage details and exclusions 

The University of California strongly recommends renters insurance for all students. Renters insurance provides valuable protection if your personal belongings are stolen or damaged from a covered cause of loss, including laptop computers, text books, smart phones, clothing and other personal items. Personal property coverage includes protection for items for active policy holders anywhere in the world. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen, you are responsible for replacing them, not the University. Renters insurance also protects you financially if you cause unintentional damage to your residence or become legally liable for bodily injury to others in your residence. 

Youtube video about Grad Guard:

How to Enroll

During the housing application process you will be given the opprutunity to cotinue with the insurance program or to opt out of the program. You will have the option to pay your annual premium during enrollment or request to be billed later. If you wish to enroll after the academic year has started, you may request a quote directly from GradGuard. GradGuard can be reached at

By opting out of insurance or by not paying the insurance premium you are accepting full responsibility for your personal property and any damage caused by yourself or your guests. 

How to Cancel

Policies can be canceled at any time. For those on monthly payments, all future payments will be stopped. Those that made a one-time payment will receive a prorated refund of the subsequent month’s worth of collected premium. In order to cancel your policy, please visit the GradGuard Self-Service Portal at, If you would like to speak to an agent, please call 866-985-7598.

Renters Insurance is underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company, Waukesha, WI. Claims and coverage subject to policy, language, limits and exclusions. GradGuard is a service of Next Generation Insurance Group, LLC, the licensed insurance agency for Markel Insurance Company.